Why Pregnancy Yoga?
Pregnancy can be an empowering and powerful time for women. Whether new to yoga or an experienced practitioner, pre and postnatal yoga can help you to become more in tune with your changing body and help to prepare you for the demands of birth and motherhood. It's also a great excuse for some 'me' time that new mothers often neglect to make room for. Studies have shown there are many benefits to pre and postnatal yoga, and we've listed some below, but why not come and try a class for yourself? Email email@example.com for more details.
Pre-Natal Yoga Can:
- reduce stress and anxiety for mums-to-be by teaching tension-releasing stretches and pranayama (breathing) techniques that can be used before, during or after birth
- increase strength and endurance needed for pregnancy and childbirth
- decrease lower back pain, nausea, carpal tunnel syndrome, headaches and shortness of breath
- lower the risk of pregnancy-induced hypertension
- help to move baby into OPF (optimal fetal postition) for birth
- give moms-to-be a chance to connect with their changing bodies, their baby and other moms in the yoga community.
Post-natal yoga can:
- help to rebuild flexibility and muscle tone
- teach moms how to safely regain core strength by working on pelvic floor and the transverse abdominals to help diastasis recti muscles recover
- maintain spinal integrity: Relaxin (a hormone released during pregnancy) looses joints everywhere in the body, not just the pelvis. Some researchers believe these ligaments may stay loose and are prone to overstretching up to eight months following giving birth
- tone and stretch your upper body to help stave off soreness that comes from constantly picking up your baby or rounding spine during breastfeeding
- help to prevent postpartum depression by getting moms back into routine exercise
- let moms connect with other mums to share the challenges and joys of motherhood.